Our Services for the Automotive Sales and Repair Businesses
When your automotive sales or repair business is facing an audit or wondering how to respond to one, McClellan Davis has the sales tax lawyers, former auditors, CPAs and sales tax experts who can help. Since 1980, our firm has represented thousands of clients — including hundreds of California vehicle dealers and vehicle repair businesses for sales and use tax audits and appeals.
McClellan Davis can provide your business with sales tax audit management, sales tax audit defense, sales tax appeals, claims for refund or reverse audits, or professional compliance services and any other sales, use or excise tax service related to the California Department of Tax and Fee Administration (formerly known as the Board of Equalization) or other state taxing agency. Our former auditor, sales tax attorneys, CPAs and consultants have a significant amount of experience with vehicle sales and automotive repair sales tax liabilities and are able to provide you with valuable experience and expertise.
Our staff of former state sales tax auditors and sales tax attorneys offer a variety of services for the automotive industries, including:
- Sales Tax Audit Management: Because many of our professionals are former state sales tax auditors, supervisors, reviewers or trainers, they have the insider knowledge needed to guide you through the audit process. We can even have the audit transferred to our office, in some cases. We work directly with the California Department of Tax and Fee Administration to minimize interruptions to your business, permitting you to focus your time and resources on what matters most – operating your business!
- Sales tax audit defense and appeals: If your audit results in an overstated sales tax liability, we can file a petition for redetermination and represent your business through the administrative appeals process. Our sales tax attorneys and auditors have a very high rate of success obtaining reductions to sales tax liabilities. If it becomes necessary, we have the staff available to take your matter to court in order to obtain a favorable outcome. Contact us today for a consultation.
- Settlements and Compromises: In cases where the best course of action is to settle, our sales tax consultants prepare and submit paperwork, negotiate with the state and seek to resolve the case with a favorable settlement.
- Litigation Support: If your dispute reaches the judicial level, we have attorneys that can represent your business directly, through the entire process. We can also provide expert witness and consultation services to assist your sales tax legal team in a sales tax court case.
- Single or Multistate Return Preparation: Nobody has to tell you what a time-consuming and laborious process filing tax returns can be — even more so when your business operates in multiple states. Let our in-house staff manage your filing cost-effectively and efficiently so you can focus your time on operating your business and rest assured that your returns are being prepared accurately and filed timely. Our return and compliance services almost always provide a cost-effective alternative to preparing returns in-house.
- Refund Claims and Reverse Audits: In situations where your business has overpaid the tax, we will work with you and the taxing agency to get your money back by filing a sales tax refund. Usually, we are able to do this on a contingency fee basis — so if you don’t get money back, you pay us nothing.
- Compliance Services: The best way to defeat a sales tax liability is to avoid it from being assessed in the first place. Our expert sales tax advisors can provide your business with the necessary sales and use tax guidance to help enable your business to accurately apply sales tax to your transactions and to properly document your sales, purchases and any applicable sales tax exemptions.
What to do When You’ve Just Received an Audit Notice?
If your automobile repair business or vehicle dealership has just received notice of a tax audit, McClellan Davis can create a custom strategy for your California sales tax audit or other state sales tax audit. We’ll work directly with the state auditor, handle correspondence and do all we can to help your automotive sales or automotive repair business operate without significant interruption. Call our office to speak to one of our professionals; we’ll be glad to provide you with a free initial consultation to address your sales and use tax concerns with no obligation.
What to do when you receive a bill?
Whether your audit was managed in-house or by an outside advisor, McClellan Davis can review the results of your audit and advise you of your options so an informed decision can be made. Sometimes the most prudent business decision is to accept the results of an audit, but you need to have the right person review the audit results to make the right decision. Typically, we are able to uncover opportunities for significant adjustments to your sales tax liability and we will provide you with a free initial consultation and/or a capped fee audit review to help you make the right decision.
Why Choose McClellan Davis, LLC?
McClellan Davis has a long history of helping businesses with a variety of tax liability and compliance issues. We’ve represented thousands of clients — from small sole proprietors to large multinational corporations. Our qualified staff of former state auditors and attorneys, our focused practice on sales and use tax, coupled with extensive experience provides us with a unique ability to help your business. If you have a California automotive repair business or automotive sales company dealing with California sales tax complications, let us help. Our consultants are highly qualified and able to give you the support you need.
Read our blog about some of the common problems vehicle dealers and automotive repair businesses have when facing a sales tax audit: